If you need an idea of how much weight your PVC pipe structure can hold, you can use our horizontal pipe deflection load chart below. This will help you design your structure for the correct pipe size and minimum/maximum lengths needed.
What is Deflection?
There are two types of pipe deflection:
How to use our Load Deflection Chart:
- Determine the size of PVC you believe you want to use for your structure.
- Create your design and determine the lengths of pipe you will need.
- Use the chart below to see if your pipe lengths are Self Deflecting () or Load Deflecting ():
- If your segments are self deflecting () the number listed is the total number of inches deep the center of the pipe segment will bend, from fully horizontal under its own weight..
- If your segments are load deflecting () the number listed is the maximum load before the pipe begins to bend.
|Horizontal Span Length (ft.)||1/2" Size||3/4" Size||1" Size||1-1/4" Size||1-1/2" Size||2" Size|
|1'||18 lb.||28 lb.||40 lb.||50 lb.||58 lb.||70 lb.|
|2'||5 lb.||10 lb.||24 lb.||35 lb.||45 lb.||55 lb.|
|3'||3 lb.||6 lb.||11 lb.||20 lb.||30 lb.||35 lb.|
|4'||2 lb.||3 lb.||6 lb.||11 lb.||23 lb.||28 lb.|
|5'||0.25"||0.25"||5 lb.||10 lb.||16 lb.||22 lb.|
What about the load on a PVC pipe vertically?
Since the wall of a PVC pipe is stronger in the vertical position, you can multiply any of the horizontal load numbers by a factor of 2.8. So a vertical 3-foot length of 1-1/4" PVC pipe will hold:
20 lb. x 2.8 = 56 lb. vertical load
Basic Load Guidelines
While there are a large number of technical and design factors involved in determining the total load a PVC pipe structure can bear, we've provided some basic guidelines below:
Determine Total Horizontal Load
For Load Deflecting pipe, you can estimate the total load a PVC structure can bear, by adding up all of the segments that will have load applied to them to find out the total weight that the horizontal element of the structure will bear. While this is only in situations where the load is even across the surface, you can see an example below:
While this does not mean that the structure can only support the weight shown, it does provide a conservative estimate of the total load the horizontal structure can bear.